Thursday, October 28, 2021

October's movie review


Finally, cinemas are open for public! After months of closure due to Covid-19, this October Indonesian Government loosen some restrictions and one of them is allowing cinemas open with 50% capacity (later on increased to 70%). I have given up on watching movies on big screen before, in desperate time, I watched Marvel's Black Widow on my laptop. Unsatisfying. Both the movie and the experience. Now cinemas are back, I managed to watched four movies this month and these are my reviews:

1. Marvel's Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

First movie to watch celebrating cinemas opening? off course Marvels! 

I feel a big jump watching Shang-Chi from the last time I watched Black Widow. Marvel used to try to explain everything that looks 'magical' in their movies: how Iron Man suit built, fly, and even the feel inside the suit; how Ant-Man can shrink to minuscule and bag a big punch; or how Dr. Strange create portal to everywhere he wanted. This time, for me Marvel just went "F*ck it, let your imagination free!". This movie started with comedic bit and strong Crazy Rich Asians-vibe, then fast paced to many unexplainable magic, until suddenly you'll serve with Shang-Chi 'kamehameha'-ing Demon while riding godlike-water bending-Dragon! 

Acting-wise this movie is very good, the cinematic is gorgeous! I believe they took inspiration from Kungfu Hustle (they mentioned it in credit) and Kungfu Panda-both are good movies describing Chinese kungfu culture for western people. I loved how Shang-Chi father and mother first met and instantly fell in love. I watched many kungfu movies, and I learned that by exchanging fists (fighting) you'll learn one's personality deeper than by having a conversation.
romantic fight scene
For me it is 7 out of 10.


2. James Bond's No Time To Die

Actually post-Spectre, I don't want to watch another Bond's movie, felt like they already gave everything and losing their excitement after Skyfall. But it is the last movie Bond played by Craig, and critics said it's good, so why not?

As a farewell for Craig, I think this movie packed full package of Bond's movies signature: beautiful girls that can kick-ass, high-tech gadgets and car (welcome back super car!), car chase, recognizable villains, and Bond's witty commentaries (even in hard times). You cannot expect Bond that live his life full of killing and dangers and adrenaline-driven actions, would leave the movies watching sunset with his loved one in small cafe in Paris. I assure you that Craig's Bond rest in pieces in the end.
Bond is hopeless romantic
For me it is 7,5 out of 10.


3. Dune: Part One

I remember Dune's gigantic sand worm from Dune TV series in my childhood, but I completely forgot how the story went. Watching Dune made a splash of other works in my head, maybe that's because Dune as a literature affecting a lot of works, to name some: Star Wars and The Game of Thrones series. So it is good to know that this movie not copying others, this is where the original ideas came from.

I loved production design of the clothes and ships and interiors. The ships are majestic! Star Wars' ships are cool, but Dune's nailed it too! Fight scenes are good but felt like uncomplete, maybe they cut it for runtime. If you watched GoT, you'll notice that this movie has similar plot: houses (mini kingdoms) inside big empire, and the empire is evil enough to arrange annihilation of one house (Atreides) by other (House of Harkonnen) assisted by the empire special force (Sardaukar). Maybe if this movie rated R, the massacre scene will look dope! One big annoying part of this movie is Paul Atreides constant daydreaming, bugging the movie pace from start to end.
Dope production value!
For me it is 7 out of 10. Dune: Part Two hopefully better.


4. Free Guy

The least expected movies to watch this month, but I end up crying in the cinema!

A touching story about two nerds that fell in love but they are too nerdy to say it out loud, so instead they will show their affection trough playing video game, Free City. This game of violence is one unique way to tell a love story, the writer did a hell of good job in it. It feels like Ready Player One with its heavy game theme, but with different approach. Free Guy brave enough doing game-theme movie that statistically most of them are flop (Resident Evil, Street Fighter, name it) but smart story telling, bold comedic scene, and heartfelt acting from Ryan Reynold made the difference.

I cried because I felt related to 'Guy' ending, in which he understand he cannot has the love of his life because they live in different world, but still trying to be happy and doing what his character said in the game: Don't have a good day, have a great day!
need to watch it again, too sweet
For me it is 8 out of 10. Good movie that don't need sequel or spin-off.


What to expect in November?

Good health, Good trade (stocks), and great days!


#shangchi #freeguy #dunemovie #notimetodie #moviereview

No comments:

Post a Comment